Dong Nhan Temple
Located in central Hanoi, this temple pays homage to the Trung sister, Trung Trac and Trung Nhi, Vietnamese heroines who led a rebellion to drive out the Han invaders in AD 40.
The Dong Nhan Temple was originally built on the Red River bank in the 12th century, but the bank collapsed in 1819 and the temple was moved to its current location. A local legend tells that one night in early February, two statues were discovered floating in the Red River in 1142 and were brought ashore by villagers. King Ly Anh Tong was told and ordered a temple dedicated to the statues to be built on the spot.
The two statues stand at the rear of the temple and wear hibiscus hats with their hands rising up to their faces attended by twelve statues of female generals on each side.
Dong Nhan Festival
The Dong Nhan Temple Festival is organized in Dong Nhan Ward, Hai Ba Trung District every the 6th day of the second lunar month.
The Dong Nhan Temple is located in Dong Nhan Precinct, Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi. The festival of Dong Nhan Temple is held annually from the 3rd to the 6th day of the second lunar month. The temple was established in honour of Hai Ba Trung (Two Trung Sisters) who were proclaimed the heroines of Vietnam as they greatly contributed to the defeat of the Dong Han invaders and to the glorious pages of the history of the country.
The main festival occurs on the 5th day when there is a ceremony for bathing the statues, opening the back palace, making sacrifices, and light dancing.
A solemn procession of the statues from the temple to the Hong River is followed by many exciting activities at the completion of the bathing ceremony, including the altar-light dance. This dance is performed by 12 young beautiful girls in colourful dresses holding two lights in their hands. The festival is finished with an incense burning ceremony.